Time to Enter the 2013 CSAC Challenge Awards!
The California State Association of Counties (CSAC) invites you to enter our 2013 Challenge Awards competition.
These unique awards recognize the innovative and creative spirit of California county governments as they find innovative, effective and cost-saving ways to provide programs and services to their citizens. This is a wonderful opportunity to spotlight your county’s best practices.
All entries must be postmarked by June 28, 2013.
Please read the following instructions and consider entering your county’s programs/projects to win one or more of these awards.
Entries will be divided into four categories based on population:
• Under 50,000
• 50,000 to 200,000
• 200,001 to 700,000
• 700,001 and above
On your entry form, please check which population category you are entering.
Only programs that are developed, managed or funded by a county department or agency are eligible. Multi-county programs are eligible. Court-related programs must be coordinated or funded by the county.
Programs that have previously received a Challenge Award cannot be entered again; Merit Award recipients are eligible.
Judges will be looking for programs that are innovative, unique and easily replicable. County programs or projects submitted must have been in existence for at least one year.
All Challenge Award entries will be considered for special awards at the judges’ discretion. These awards will not be subject to the population criteria outlined above.
All entries must be postmarked by June 28, 2013, to be considered. Faxed or emailed entries will not be accepted. Entries cannot be returned.
$75.00 per entry. A check payable to CSAC Challenge Awards must accompany EACH entry. If entering multiple entries, a single check with a total amount ($75.00 for each program entered) may be submitted. Credit card payments cannot be accepted.
A panel of county and private sector officials will evaluate the entries. Judges’ decisions are final. The following criteria will be used to select the winners:
• Statement of the problem and solution.
• Innovation, resourcefulness, vision, uniqueness and risk-taking.
• Replicability of the program/project.
• Cost-effectiveness of the program/project.
• Conformance to application instructions as set forth in the “Entry Instructions” in this brochure.
• Two levels of awards will be presented by CSAC in each category: Challenge and Merit Awards
• Judges will also consider all entries for special awards that are open to all population categories.
• Challenge Awards will be presented in person in the recipient’s county. Merit Awards will be mailed.
• In the event that a multi-county application is honored, each county will receive an award.
• All recipients will be notified by mail upon completion of judging in the fall.
• If you have any questions, contact David Liebler, CSAC Director of Public Affairs & Member Services, at 916/327-7500, ext. 530; email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. FILL OUT OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM ON INSIDE BACK PAGE OF THIS BROCHURE. The entry form is also available online at www.csac.counties.org.
2. OBTAIN A LETTER OF AUTHORIZATION. This is simply a letter signed by either your Board Chair or County Administrator authorizing the entry of the county’s programs in the Challenge Awards competition. Counties may submit one (1) letter of endorsement for all entries, but please list each entry by program name in your letter of endorsement.
3. CONSTRUCT YOUR “EXECUTIVE SUMMARY.” This is your statement of the challenge and the solution. Your Executive Summary is a very important part of your entry. It must be NO MORE THAN TWO 8 ½ BY 11 DOUBLE-SPACED PAGES. Please include contact information on the summary. Since this will be published for statewide distribution, please present the information as you would like to see it in print. CSAC reserves the right to edit this material.
4. EMAIL YOUR BRIEF 25-WORD SUMMARY AND CONTACT INFORMATION. Please email a copy of your brief 25-word summary contained in your Executive Summary, along with County, Entry Title and Contact Information to Chris Feusahrens at email@example.com. Your entry in its entirety should be mailed CSAC Challenge Awards, CSAC, 1100 K St., Ste. 101, Sacramento, CA 95814.
Overview – Provide a brief, 25-word summary of your program or project.
Problem or Challenge – Describe the problem or challenge your county faced and the process used to address this problem. Explain the unique or critical factors that led to this project.
Solution – Describe the steps taken by the county to solve the problem or overcome the challenge.
Budget/Costs/Savings – How much money was budgeted to fund the project?
a. List all sources of funding for the project.
b. Did the project come within/under budget?
c. What costs were involved, what savings were realized?
d. What is the measure of increased productivity or time saved?
Results – Describe the results of the program/project. Discuss how the program or project has positively affected the community, improved delivery of services to the public, or improved administration of a program internally.
Project or Program Contact – List the name, title, mailing address, phone and e-mail address of the person who can be contacted about this program.
Optional Submission – If your project involved the development of a video or CD, please enclose one copy. Videos/CDs will not be returned and become property of CSAC. Please limit supporting material – such as brochures, final reports or other information – to items that are directly relevant to this project.
Now That Your Entries are Ready to be Sent Off
MAKE CHECK(S) PAYABLE TO: CSAC CHALLENGE AWARDS. A payment of $75.00 must accompany EACH entry. If entering multiple entries, a single check with a total amount ($75.00 for each program entered) may be submitted. However, a photocopy of the check must be submitted with each entry.
SEND IN YOUR ENTRY BY MAIL. You must send three (3) complete copies of each entry form and Executive Summary, along with either a check or photocopy of group payment and your letter of endorsement (see entry form for address). Your entry should be mailed CSAC Challenge Awards, CSAC, 1100 K St., Ste. 101, Sacramento, CA 95814.
EMAIL YOUR BRIEF 25-WORD SUMMARY AND CONTACT INFORMATION. Please email a copy of your brief 25-word summary contained in your Executive Summary, along with County, Entry Title and Contact Information to Chris Feusahrens at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Entries may not be faxed. Entries received by CSAC will not be returned.
Counties by Population Category
50,000 to 200,000
200,001 to 750,000
San Luis Obispo
750,001 and Above