Assistant Director of Parks
San Mateo County
March 2, 2018
$11,571.30 – $14,466.40/Month
The San Mateo County Parks Department is accepting applications for an Assistant Director of Parks to assist the Director in planning, organizing, directing and reviewing programs and activities involving the operations, maintenance, protection and improvement of County parks, recreational areas, resources and facilities. The Assistant Director will assume a leadership role in a high-performing and innovative organization that is comprised of highly motivated and engaged staff.
We are seeking a leader with over four years of increasingly responsible professional park management experience, at least one year of which was in a senior-level administrative or management position. The selected candidate will have knowledge of the principles and practices of park management and administration; land use planning and development; landscape architecture in park and open space situations; building construction; engineering; and natural resource protection. Knowledge of and experience in budget preparation, administration and control and state & federal grant programs for park programs and projects is required, as is knowledge of pertinent rules and regulations.
Additionally, the new Assistant Director will be:
• An experienced manager with a sound understanding of parks business management, parks regulations, programs, operations, planning and funding as well as public administration, human resources, budget and finance
• A passionate, approachable and politically astute leader with a management style that quickly fosters trust, loyalty, respect, commitment and partnership from staff, the community, and other county managers and departments; and has a clear vision for the future of the organization that is balanced with realism
• A strategic thinker and planner with innovative yet practical solutions to problems that contributes towards the department and the County’s vision
• An innovative thinker willing to take risks and pursue new creative ideas, and who is not threatened by change
• A collaborator, consensus and team builder who can foster and build coalitions and work effectively with a variety of stakeholders
How to Apply:
To learn more about the position and to apply online, please visit our website at http://jobs.smcgov.org. Applications are only accepted online. EOE
March 19, 2018