Veterans Service Officer
October 9, 2012
$6,054.00 – $7,391.00 / Month plus a variety of employer sponsored benefits that include:
• Flexible benefits program, equal to 10% of salary, available in cash or pre-tax purchases of such items as
dependent care and insurance products.
• Premium pay equal to 6% of salary, which may be taken as cash or placed in the County’s 457 plan (all or part).
• If placed in the County’s 457 deferred compensation plan, the County will match the employee’s contribution on
a dollar-for-dollar basis, up to 6% of salary, but no more than the legal contribution limit.
• Retirement plan, per 1937 Act (1.62% at age 65—employee contributes 100% of employee share).
• $599 monthly automobile allowance, plus $0.32 per mile (adjusted annually).
• Group medical, dental and vision insurance (employee contributes 20% of premium).
• Up to twelve days of sick leave per year, depending on years of service.
• 96 to 216 hours of paid vacation per year, depending on years of service.
• Eleven paid holidays per year.
• County paid $100,000 life insurance coverage.
• County paid Employee Assistance program.
• Availability of disability insurance plans.
The County Veterans Service Officer is a department head position appointed by and serving at the pleasure
of the Board of Supervisors. The position formulates and administers counseling and advising services for
veterans and their spouses on problems concerning community resources, vocational, educational, financial, legal
and medical rights and benefits available to veterans. The position assists veterans in referring claims to federal
and State governments and works with various veteran organizations and community agencies in administering
veterans’ programs. Key responsibilities of this position are developing and executing an annual budget, and
overseeing the fiscal and personnel management functions of the department, including selecting, training,
evaluating, and developing staff.
Bachelor’s degree, at least two years continuous active duty in U.S. armed forces (exception: early Honorable Discharge for service incurred disability), and two years paid experience in counseling or advising members of the public.
How To Apply:
View the position announcement at our website: http://www.co.kern.ca.us/person/Webjobs/JB5668.pdf, or go to: Kern County Personnel Department, 1115 Truxtun Avenue, Bakersfield, CA 93301. Submit resumes to: County Administrative Office, County of Kern, 1115 Truxtun Avenue, 5th Floor, Bakersfield, CA 93301
November 8, 2012 11:00 a.m.