County Supervisors Among Experts Advising Governor on Combating Homelessness
July 18, 2019
Governor Gavin Newsom announced a list of key experts to advise him on solutions to combat homelessness, including three county supervisors and several county affiliates.
The new group, which is unnamed but will convene three meetings in the coming months, is co-chaired by Los Angeles County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas. Governor Newsom also appointed San Diego County Supervisor Nathan Fletcher and Riverside County Supervisor V. Manuel Perez to the group. Also included are representatives from the County Welfare Directors Association and the County Behavioral Health Directors Association.
The Governor also announced the future formation of additional sub-working groups on the issue, possibly focused on mental health, street homelessness, and rural homelessness.
CSAC applauds the Governor and his new advisors force as they seek regional and collaborative solutions to this serious and urgent problem. CSAC is prepared to assist the supervisors in their capacity as advisors to the Governor and will also engage the entire CSAC membership on this critical issue.
The full list of advisors includes:
- Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg, Co-Chair
- Los Angeles County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas, Co-Chair
- Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf
- Fresno City Councilmember Esmeralda Soria
- San Diego County Supervisor Nathan Fletcher
- Riverside County Supervisor V. Manuel Perez
- Arcata City Councilmember Sofia Pereira
- County Welfare Directors Association of California Executive Director Frank Mecca
- Corporation for Supportive Housing Associate Director Sharon Rapport
- Western Center on Law and Poverty Policy Advocate Anya Lawler
- County Behavioral Health Directors Association Executive Director Michelle Cabrera
- Former U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness Director Philip Mangano
- Former Department of Social Services Director Will Lightbourne