Department of Housing and Community Development Notice of Funding Availability and Program Guidelines
June 28, 2019
Public Comment Period Extended for CalHome Program Draft Guidelines
The California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) recently released the CalHome program draft guidelines. The purpose of the CalHome program is to enable low- and very low-income households to become or remain homeowners. These guidelines include two significant program changes contingent upon enactment of a pending budget trailer bill, which would allow CalHome funds to be used for:
- The construction, repair, reconstruction, or rehabilitation of accessory dwelling units and junior accessory dwelling units.
- Disaster relief assistance to serve disaster affected households at or below moderate income (120 percent of area median income).
The CalHome program provides funding to local public agencies or nonprofits to fund local programs undertaking loans to first-time homebuyers for mortgage assistance, owner-occupants for rehabilitation (including rehabilitation of manufactured homes not on permanent foundation), and self-help technical assistance for homeownership and construction training plans.
The public comment period has been extended from July 5, 2019 to July 9, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. CSAC encourages counties to submit comments directly to HCD. Comments may be submitted via email to CalHome@hcd.ca.gov.
To learn more about the draft guidelines, please register for an HCD public hearing or webinar. Upcoming workshop and webinar dates and locations are listed below.
- SACRAMENTO, June 27 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. at the California Department of Housing and Community Development, 2020 West El Camino, Room 402 A/B, Sacramento, CA 95833. Register.
- HCD WEBINAR, July 2, 2019, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Register.
Multifamily Housing Program NOFA and Final Guidelines
HCD has released the Multifamily Housing Program (MHP) Final Guidelines and Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) for approximately $178 million. This is the first available funding from Proposition 1, the Veterans and Affordable Housing Bond Act of 2018, which California voters approved on November 6, 2018.
MHP provides permanent financing for affordable multifamily rental and transitional new construction, acquisition, rehabilitation, and conversion housing developments.
Applications are due August 20, 2019. To learn more about the MHP NOFA and Final Guidelines, please register to attend a workshop or webinar. Upcoming workshops and webinar dates and locations are listed below.
- SACRAMENTO, July 2, 2019, 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., HCD Headquarters, 2020 West El Camino Room 402 A and B, Sacramento, CA 95833, Register.
- SAN DIEGO, July 9, 2019, 8:30 a.m. - 12 p.m., San Diego Point Loma Library, 3701 Voltaire Street, San Diego, CA 92107, Register.
- SANTA ANA, July 10, 2019, 8:30 a.m. - 12 p.m., City of Santa Ana City Hall, Council Chambers, 20 Civic Center Plaza, Santa Ana, CA 92701, Register.
- RIVERSIDE, July 11, 2019, 8:30 a.m. - 12 p.m., Home Front at Camp Anza, 5797 Picker St., Riverside, CA 92503, Register.
- HCD WEBINAR, July 16, 2019, 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Register.
- OAKLAND, July 18, 2019, 8:30 a.m. - 12 p.m., Elihu M. Harris State Office, Room 1, 1515 Clay Street, Oakland, CA 94612, Register.