Housing Infrastructure Grant Guidelines Released
August 1, 2019
Governor Newsom signed AB 101 (Committee on Budget), the housing and homelessness budget trailer bill, on Thursday, July 31. Prior to the Governor’s signature, the Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) issued draft grant guidelines for the $500 million authorized by AB 101 to support infill housing development. Unlike prior iterations of the Infill Infrastructure Grant (IIG) Program, the version authorized by AB 101 includes broader definitions of infill that are more workable for unincorporated areas, as well as a $90 million over-the-counter program for counties with fewer than 250,000 residents. A detailed summary of the bill is available on the CSAC website.
The primary goal of the IIG Program is to promote infill housing development. The program serves to aid in new construction and rehabilitation of infrastructure that supports higher-density affordable and mixed-income housing in locations designated as infill. The IIG Program provides grants for infrastructure improvements in support of residential or mixed-use infill development projects. Specific eligible improvements include development or rehabilitation of parks or open space, transit shelters, streets, sidewalks, and streetscape improvements.
CSAC is interested in feedback from counties on the draft guidelines by Tuesday, August 20 via email to email@example.com. The HCD public comment period ends Tuesday, August 27 at 5:00 PM, and CSAC encourages counties to submit comments directly to HCD via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about the IIG Program draft guidelines, please register to attend a public hearing. Upcoming hearing dates and locations are listed below.
- Los Angeles – August 5 from 3:00 – 5:00 PM at the California Department of Transportation, 100 S. Main Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012. Register
- San Diego – August 6 from 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM at the San Diego Association of Governments, 401 B Street, Suite #700, San Diego, CA 92101. Register
- San Jose – August 7 from 1:30 – 3:30 PM at San Jose City Hall (Council Chambers), 200 E. Santa Clara Street, San Jose, CA 95113. Register
- Sacramento – August 8 from 1:00 – 3:00 PM at the California Department of Housing and Community Development, 2020 W. El Camino Ave. #402 a/b, Sacramento, CA 95833. Register
- Webinar – August 8 from 1:00 – 3:00 PM Register
- Madera – August 9 from 1:00 – 3:00 PM at Madera City Hall (Council Chambers), 205 W. 4th Street, Madera, CA 93637. Register