Senior Manager, Public Affairs & Member Services
California State Association of Counties (CSAC)
March 29, 2021
Salary range: $125,000 to $150,000 annually, plus excellent benefits package. Consideration will be given to extending the range based on qualifications.
Are you looking for an opportunity to lead communications efforts that impact the quality of life in our communities? Are you interested in playing a vital role for one of the state’s most forward-thinking Associations? Do you understand the critical role California’s 58 Counties play in the lives of our 40 million residents? Are you strategic, hard-working and visionary? If so, then the California State Association of Counties (CSAC) wants to hear from you.
CSAC is seeking a Senior Public Affairs and Member Services Manager, who will be responsible for all internal and external communication efforts, member services, and directing conference and meeting planning. Duties include supervision of professional, technical, and support staff; developing strategic communications; media relations; social media and video production; oversight of all large conferences and regional meetings; and assisting member education efforts. Incumbent is a direct report to the Deputy Executive Director of Operations & Member Services and is responsible for managing a departmental budget and supervising staff.
Job duties include:
- Works closely with CSAC Executive Team, as well as legislative unit, to develop effective communications strategies and delivery of member services.
- Oversees media relations, both proactively and reactively. This includes responding to inquiries, building relationships, finding spokespeople, and preparing media releases.
- Supervises staff to prioritize and assign work; conduct performance evaluations; ensure staff is adequately trained; ensure that employees comply with policies and procedures; maintain a healthy and safe working environment; and make recommendations for hiring, termination, and disciplinary actions.
- Oversees the development and implementation of programs, policies and procedures for the department.
- Administers and monitors the departmental budget including allocating resources and approving expenditures.
- Oversees social media, webinar, video and graphic production.
- Prepares scripts for elected officials, helps set conference agendas, and oversees program flow.
- Coordinates and monitors the development of any publications (printed or electronic) and the association’s website.
- Participates and helps lead collaborative projects with partnership programs (ex., CSAC Institute/Foundation, CSAC Finance Corporation & Corporate Program, and Institute for Local Government); identifies program and/or member needs and provides resources and solutions.
Bachelor’s Degree in communications, public relations, journalism, public administration or a related field and seven years’ experience in communications and/or public relations, including three years in a supervisory role; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
- Journalism/media markets;
- Strategic communications;
- Media relations & training;
- Social media, web development, and video production;
- Current communications & marketing tools;
- Principles of personnel management and supervision including planning, coordinating, directing and evaluating the work and activities of staff.
- Budgetary principles; and,
- Superb understanding of local government operations and political landscape
- Developing and implementing new communications strategies and plans;
- Strong communications and writing skills;
- Public speaking/presentation skills;
- Adept at managing and using multiple Social Media platforms;
- Operating pertinent computer systems and software applications;
- Directing and managing department operations;
- Supervising and evaluating employees;
- Preparing and monitoring budgets;
- Refined communication and interpersonal skills; must be able to effectively interact with elected officials, county executives, the general public, among others.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Tuesday, April 20, 2021, at 5 pm.