County Quotes: CSAC Tells the County Story on Election Funding, Homelessness and More 

Back to News
By
CSAC Staff
Date Published
August 28, 2025

Did you notice CSAC in the news lately? If so, you’re not alone. Here’s a look at some of the recent news coverage featuring supervisors and staff on critical issues facing counties: 

Proposition 50 is dividing Californians, but there’s one thing counties all agree on: The state must fund the special election — in advance.

CSAC shared our funding request letter to the governor and legislative leaders on social media and with reporters covering the story: 

That led to coverage from CalMatters: 

“The additional expenses tied to a statewide special election would fall almost entirely on counties — imposing a significant and unfunded financial burden on already strained local budgets,” wrote the California State Association of Counties, which represents county supervisors, in partnership with its subsidiary organization that represents clerks and registrars.   

And Sacramento’s ABC10, featuring an interview with Yolo County Supervisor Lucas Frerichs:

On Friday, all 58 counties represented under the California State Association of Counties called on state leaders to fully fund the potential November special election in advance — citing already strained local budgets and warning the unexpected costs could actually force counties to cut core services such as public safety and the social safety net. 

A Yolo County supervisor that we spoke with representing District 2 is one of those counties who signed on to the letter and says local government budgets are struggling after federal funding cuts. 

“I think we would see potential to have to make choices about what we actually are going to have to fund. And so if we are spending money on a special election, we may have to cut services like public safety or some of our social net services, and that’s a really tough choice to have to make.” 

That coverage paid off as the final bill package did include the funding. CSAC put out a statement highlighting the win from Monterey County Supervisor and CSAC 2nd VP Luis Alejo. 

As California’s point-in-time (PIT) count shows many counties and cities making progress on addressing homelessness, CSAC proactively engaged with reporters to shape the narrative rather than letting others shape it alone. 

CSAC acted immediately last week to issue a rapid response statement when the governor’s press office touted the PIT improvement. We called out how the state had just zeroed out Homeless Housing, Assistance, and Prevention (HHAP) funding in the new state budget. And we highlighted a letter from CSAC and other local leaders  

Our narrative also got picked up by powerhouse Los Angeles news-talk radio station KFI-AM. CSAC’s view was included in multiple newscasts throughout the day, as well as KFI’s morning news podcast: 

Governor Newsom credits state investments for the trends, despite criticism from the California State Association of Counties over funding cuts. Last year Newsom allocated a billion dollars for homelessness, which is reduced to 0 this year.

CSAC also made it into CalMatters’ popular WhatMatters newsletter the next morning. The reporter linked to another rapid response statement we issued a few weeks earlier that also responded to the governor: 

Gov. Gavin Newsom was quick to take credit last month as early reports came in showing decreases that his office said happened through his “support of local government efforts and state investments.” He bragged again on Monday, saying California is “reversing decades of inaction on homelessness.” 

But the California State Association of Counties was just as quick to accuse Newsom of derailing that progress by slashing state funding in upcoming budget cycles. Though Newsom has poured money into the homelessness crisis, it’s been in one-time grants instead of ongoing funding, which counties complain makes it difficult to build the types of long-term programs that will create meaningful change for the state’s more than 187,000 unhoused people.  

Newsom allocated $1 billion in Homeless Housing, Assistance and Prevention funds last year, but cut that to $0 this year, while signaling an intent to allocate $500 million next year. 

And here’s the Santa Monica Daily Press headline: 

The article went on to say: 

…county leaders argue that the state’s approach has been fundamentally flawed and that recent progress is now at risk due to budget cuts. 

“We agree with the governor: Thanks to years of hard work on the ground, counties and cities are showing results,” said Jeff Griffiths, California State Association of Counties president and Inyo County supervisor. “But now, because of the new state budget, local governments will be forced to defund successful efforts making real progress.” 

The publication even touted CSAC’s AT HOME framework and fiscal analysis of how the state has spent money on housing and homelessness. 

The Sacramento Bee quoted Nevada County Counsel Kit Elliott (who also serves as president of the County Counsels’ Association of California) and CSAC Senior Legislative Advocate Eric Lawyer in an article on abuses of the California Public Records Act. 

A San Diego Union Tribune article examined how a state law has created financial and insurance crises for counties and other local governments, quoting CSAC Director of Public Affairs Ben Adler. 

And The San Jose Mercury News included CSAC’s statement on the state budget’s insufficient Proposition 36 funding in its deep dive on challenges implementing the measure approved overwhelmingly by California voters.