INCORPORATION DATE: 1850
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
- District 1 – Gary Tofanelli
- District 2 – John Garamendi Jr.
- District 3 – Merita Callaway
- District 4 – Dennis Mills
- District 5 – Benjamin Stopper
FORM OF GOVERNMENT: General Law
CALAVERAS. County seat, San Andreas. Created February 18, 1850. The meaning of the word calaveras is “skulls.” This county takes its name from the Calaveras River which was reportedly so designated by an early explorer when he found, on the banks of the stream, many skulls of Indians who had either died of famine or had been killed in tribal conflicts over hunting and fishing grounds.
San Andreas, CA 95249