2020 Census Update
July 18, 2019
A complete and accurate count of California’s population in the upcoming 2020 decennial census is critically important. The data collected is used to distribute more than $800 billion dollars in federal funds to state and local governments annually for schools, hospitals, public transportation, parks, and social services; and determines the apportionment of congressional districts throughout the country. California counties are a linchpin in the successful count of California’s population. Below, please find a number of Census updates and resources that will help facilitate that success.
Federal Court Decision Blocks Debated Citizenship Question on Census
This week, a New York federal judge issued an order definitively blocking the Trump administration from adding a citizenship question to the 2020 census in any form. In light of that decision, here are some key objectives to be mindful of:
- The importance of a fair and accurate census in 2020 cannot be understated;
- Responding to the census is required by law, and response data is protected by the strictest federal confidentiality protections;
- The best way to encourage participation is to inform communities about the census’ role in our democracy, highlighting in particular the impact that an inaccurate census count would have on already under-resourced and marginalized neighborhoods and communities;
- Collaboration between elected officials, civically engaged groups, business owners, and other key local stakeholders to coordinate widespread outreach is paramount to ensuring a fair and accurate census; and
- There is no single greater way to participate in direct democracy – ensuring proper representation, and impacting our communities in a positive way – than to simply fill out a census form.
Final Opportunity to Register for the 2020 Census New Construction Program
- The Census Bureau has extended the deadline to register for the New Construction Program – the last chance for local governments to update the Census Bureau’s address list to ensure a complete and accurate population count. The New Construction Program allows local governments to submit addresses for residential units under construction on or after March 1, 2018 where completion is expected by Census Day, April 1, 2020. You can find more information about the New Construction Program here.
- The Census Bureau recommends registering as soon as possible because the Bureau is accepting registrations for an indefinite period of time. To register, please complete the attached form and email it to GEO.2020.NC@census.gov.
- If any questions arise, please contact the Census Bureau by email at GEO.2020.NC@census.gov or by telephone at 1.844.242.1765.
California Complete Count – Census 2020 continues to develop and provide informative and digestible census tools and resources, including resources specifically for California counties. Counties can encourage all to pledge to participate in the 2020 Census here; or by promoting the social media hashtag #WeCount. Here are some additional Census materials that are available for redistribution: