Lunch at the Library Workshop
The California Library Association will hold an informational workshop in Sacramento in January 28 to encourage county libraries to start or expand existing USDA Summer Meals programs.
The workshop will cover:
- The logistics of getting started,
- Finding and working with meal sponsors (the agencies that provide the USDA Summer Meal Program meals that are served in participating libraries),
- Creating an inviting space,
- Outreach to families,
- Programs to complement the meal service,
- Working with volunteers and youth development opportunities,
- Gaining staff and leadership buy-in,
- Implementation with limited staffing and resources,
- Engaging community partners, and
Lunch at the Library programs provide free and nutritious meals to children and teens in low income communities through the USDA’s Summer Food Service Program. There is no cost to libraries to receive and distribute these meals.
Libraries can get up to $5,000 grants to support USDA Summer Meals programs.
Register for the training here.