The Edward Byrne Justice Assistance Grant (JAG)
October 27, 2022
The Office of the State Public Defender (OSPD) will be hosting a webinar on either Friday, November 4, 2022 or Monday, November 7, 2022 to provide information and answer any questions about how counties can use Byrne JAG funding to support indigent defense. Please let us know if you are interested and whether Friday or Monday works best. The specific time is TBD.
The Byrne JAG program is the leading source of federal justice funding to state and local jurisdictions. The grant application process is now OPEN. This funding CAN be used for indigent defense programs. In fact, one of the priority areas of need identified for this funding in California is innovations in indigent defense. There are relatively few opportunities to receive federal funding for indigent defense programs and we encourage your county to apply for this funding.
Here are some project examples to consider (these ideas are just examples and not in any way comprehensive)
- Creating a public defender office if your county does not have one
- Funding bail or early representation units
- For small or rural counties, partnering with other counties to create a regional hub of forensic expert, immigration counsel, investigators and social workers so that you can have access to shared pooled resources (counties can apply through one application for a joint project and receive the amount each county would get individually)
- Increasing social work and reentry supports within an office.
Attached is information about how some other jurisdictions have used their Byrne Jag funds for indigent defense. The application and instructions can be found here. The deadline for application is December 2, 2022.
Prospective applicants are invited to attend a virtual Bidder’s Conference to discuss any questions about the application, eligibility, funding, Program Purpose Areas or the evaluation process.
JAG Virtual Bidders’ Conference
Monday, October 31, 2022, at 10:00 a.m.
Public access options for this meeting include:
Join by Zoom:
Meeting ID: 852 9960 3195 | Passcode: 049446
- Meeting ID: 852 9960 3195 | Passcode: 049446