Employee Relations and Administrative Services Policy Committee Recap
December 8, 2016
The CSAC Government Finance and Administration Policy Committee,
which includes the Employee Relations and Administrative Services
Policy Unit, met on December 1 at the 122nd CSAC Annual meeting
with Supervisor Hannigan, Solano County, presiding as Chair.
Finance and Administration meeting agenda is available
Counties hear about effects on workforce policies following cannabis legalization. Mark Meyerhoff of Liebert Cassidy Whitmore presented an overview of the recently passed proposition to legalize the recreational use of cannabis and its impact on the county workplace (presentation available online). While federal cannabis regulations are still in place, Proposition 64 does not affect existing drug use policies or the enforcement of drug use restrictions in the workplace. The speaker did, however, in light of recent court decisions, advise counties to double check their current policies to make sure they don’t impinge on employee privacy rights
Key 2016 Legislative Session outcomes reviewed. CSAC staff discussed key bills and budget outcomes from the 2016 legislative session. Highlights of new laws impacting counties included:
- AB 1244 (Gray) – Workers’ compensation
- AB 1546 (Olsen) – Vital records
- AB 1669 (Hernandez) – Displaced employees
- AB 1787 (Gomez) – Brown Act open meetings
- AB 2143 (Irwin) – County recorder: electronic recording
- AB 2636 (Linder) – Electronic requests for vital records
- AB 2853 (Gatto) – Public records
- SB 1063 (Hall) – Wage differential: race or ethnicity
2017 Priorities Previewed. CSAC staff provided a preview of the upcoming 2017 legislative session, which will come into full swing in less than a month. The following priorities were discussed:
- CalPERS’ Healthcare Issues.
- CalPERS’ Risk Mitigation Discussion.
- Affordable Care Excise Tax.
- Collective Bargaining.
- Open Data and Public Records.
- Body Cameras.