Governor Newsom Announces New Workgroup for Aging
June 13, 2019
On Monday, June 10, Governor Newsom announced the creation of a Cabinet-level Workgroup for Aging to be convened by the Secretary of the California Health and Human Services Agency (CHHS). As the aging population is forecasted to rise significantly, the workgroup, led by recently confirmed HHS Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly, will work to provide an actionable Master Plan on Aging with the goal of transforming California into an age-friendly state.
The Executive Order N-14-19, which establishes the workgroup and requires the Master Plan on Aging, acknowledges the contributions of older adults throughout California and the need to prioritize their needs throughout state. The Executive Order includes a wide range of directives that aim to plan for the growing challenges of long-term care and supports for this population. These directives include provisions that require:
- The Master Plan on Aging to be developed by October 1, 2020.
- The Master Plan on Aging to include data indicators with 10-year targets
- The Plan to include federal, state, and local government coordination recommendations
- CHHS to convene a diverse Master Plan on Aging Stakeholder Advisory Committee with a Research Subcommittee and a Long-Term Care Subcommittee to provide input for the Master Plan.
- The Long-Term Care Subcommittee will issue a report to the Governor by March 2020 on stabilizing long-term care programs, including In-Home Supportive Services.
Following the Governor’s press release, CHHS Secretary Ghaly and CHHS Program and Fiscal Deputy Secretary Marko Mijic convened a stakeholder call to provide the Administration’s vision for the Master Plan on Aging. During this call the Administration voiced the importance of engaging across agencies and departments to provide an extensive roadmap. Key to the success of the Plan will be participation from stakeholders, including local government representatives. CSAC will actively engage with CHHS as they begin to internally vet possible appointments to the Committee and Subcommittees.