Save the Date! March 16 Launch of Vera Institute’s Incarceration Data Hub
March 9, 2023
CSAC would like to share information on Vera Institute’s (Vera) new California data hub which has county-specific resources for county leaders interested in analyzing spending for criminal justice. Vera is hosting a virtual launch event to introduce the data hub on Thursday, March 16th from 11 am -12 pm. To register for the launch event please click here.
On the website, each county has a separate fact sheet which combines California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR), Department of Justice (DOJ), Board of State and Community Corrections (BSCC) and State Controller’s Office (SCO) data and gives easy access to downloadable charts. The website also includes helpful data points for specific counties such as:
- Dollars spent on different parts of the county budget, including a breakdown of prosecution, defense, probation, sheriff.
- Arrest rates by race within a particular county.
- Percentage of people incarcerated within the county who have a mental health issue.
- Percentage of people in your county jail who are awaiting trial.
- Percentage of cases that are misdemeanors/felonies/violent felonies within a county.
- Suggestions of what specific resources a county could pay for if jail spending was kept at 2017 levels.
- Statewide comparisons for incarceration rates by county.
- Downloadable images and data sets.
Even if attendance is not possible, you can click on the data hub link and check out the statistics for your county.