Senate Democrats Propose Drought Water Package
May 4, 2022
Democrats in the California released their budget priorities, which includes the CSAC supported request for Dam Safety funding. The water and drought provisions within the package proposes $7.5 billion in state and federal funds to build a climate resilient water system including:
- $2 billion to rebalance state water supply and water rights.
- $1.5 billion for new CA Water Trust to acquire lands with senior water rights from willing sellers.
- $500 million to Dept. of Conservation for acquisition and repurposing of lands to implement the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act
- $1.5 billion to ensure all Californians have safe drinking water.
- $1.5 billion for improving watershed climate resilience regionally.
- $1.5 billion Drought Resilient Water Supply grants, to assist with recycling, stormwater capture, and groundwater cleanup.
- $1 billion for Flood Management and Dam Safety grants to improve resilience of flood management system and fund public benefit portion of dam safety projects.
In the coming weeks hearings will be convened to discuss details and negotiations will begin in earnest after the Governor releases his May Revision later this month.