Upcoming CARE Act Training and Technical Assistance: Eligibility in Practice on June 14
May 25, 2023
Representatives from Health Management Associates (HMA) will provide a training session on Wednesday, June 14, from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m., to cover CARE Act eligibility criteria, including a review of diagnoses, symptoms, functional impairment, and other criteria. The training will also cover the key points in the Community Assistance, Recovery, and Empowerment (CARE) Act process where eligibility is applied/reviewed (e.g., report, evaluation).
HMA will also host a subsequent open-forum discussion on Thursday, June 15 at 9 a.m. which is intended only for counties, counsel, judges, and their county providers to ask questions, discuss topics needing clarification, and to share ideas and thoughts among county team members. Registration for both the training and open forum discussion is available here.
The Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) has contracted with HMA to provide Training and Technical Assistance (TTA) for the CARE Act. HMA will be offering training on prioritized topics twice a month, along with an open forum webinar at least monthly.
At the end of this training session titled “CARE Act Eligibility in Practice,” participants will have an increased ability to:
- Describe the schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorders that are CARE Act eligible (and those that are not eligible).
- List the functional impairments related to these disorders and other eligibility criteria that qualify an individual for CARE Act.
- Identify key inflection points for assessing/applying eligibility throughout the process, including the petition, the county report, and the clinical evaluation.
This training is intended for all counties, counsel, judges, county providers, and other stakeholders that are participating in the CARE Act implementation. The subsequent open-forum discussion is intended only for counties, counsel, judges, and their county providers to ask questions, discuss topics needing clarification, and to share ideas and thoughts among county team members.
Materials from previously conducted CARE Act TTA by HMA, including videos, presentation slides, and notes, are accessible here:
- CARE Act 201: The Client’s Journey Through the CARE Act
- CARE Act 202: The CARE Agreement and CARE Plan