USDA to Host Roundtable on Food Waste
September 2, 2021
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) will host a virtual roundtable on September 15, 8 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. Pacific Time, titled Exploring Food Waste Solutions: Success Stories from the U.S. and Beyond, to showcase innovative policies and approaches to reducing food waste in the United States, Europe, and the United Kingdom. You can register for the webinar here.
The roundtable will feature public and private leaders in the food waste prevention sector followed by a Q&A session. Speakers include:
- Jean Buzby, USDA Food Loss and Waste Liaison
- Emily Broad Leib, Harvard Food Law and Policy Clinic, will serve as moderator
- Josh Kelly, Vermont State Waste Management and Prevention Division, will discuss the state’s Universal Recycling Law and consumer food waste education efforts.
- Todd Lawrence of the Urban Green Lab (Nashville, Tennessee) will showcase their mobile laboratory that delivers sustainable living education citywide.
- Sarah Feteih of the San Diego Food System Alliance will highlight an online social competition that has engaged residents in food waste tracking challenges and reduced household-level food waste by 38 percent.
- Wayne Hubbard, Chief Executive Officer of ReLondon, will share the success of London’s partnership to improve waste and resource management and accelerate their transition to a low-carbon city.
- Filippo Gavazzeni, Milan Urban Food Policy Pact Secretariat, Milan Municipality, will review the consortium’s holistic approach to addressing systematic issues within the food supply chains, including addressing food loss and waste.