Deadlines Looming for Inmate Medi-Cal Program
A series of deadlines are looming for counties that choose to participate in the Medi-Cal County Inmate Program (MCIP). The MCIP is voluntary, but counties that do not participate in MCIP remain responsible for arranging for and paying for medical care for its inmates. Counties that do choose to participate can be reimbursed for a significant portion of those costs, but they must enter into an agreement with the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS).
The agreement will establish the amounts needed to satisfy each county’s responsibility to reimburse DHCS for the nonfederal share of MCIP service costs incurred by DHCS.
Listed below are all pertinent documents that counties must submit to DHCS if they plan to participate in the MCIP for SFY 2016-17 and 2017-18. Below are important timelines that counties need to comply with for participation in the program.
· January 9, 2017–All Counties will submit their County Participation Form for SFY 2016-17 and SFY 2017-18.
· January 13, 2017 – DHCS will send out the nonfederal share of the administrative costs to participating Counties.
· February 15, 2017- Participating Counties will submit the signed MCIP agreement for SFY 2016-17 and SFY 2017-18 to DHCS.
· April 1, 2017- DHCS will ensure agreements are in place for counties participating SFY 2016-17.
· May 1, 2017- DHCS will ensure agreements are in place for counties participating SFY 2017-18.
The required documents include:
1. Medi-Cal County Inmate Program (MCIP) Agreement SFY 2017-18 (Due to DHCS on February 15, 2017)
2. County Interest Letter IMCU-003: This letter gives background regarding the intent of the County Participation Forms.
- County Participation Form SFY 2016-17 (Due to DHCS on January 9, 2017)
- County Participation Form SFY 2017-18 (Due to DHCS on January 9, 2017)
- Addendum A: Timeline for SFY 2016-2017 and SFY 2017-18: This Addendum accompanies the MCIP agreement for SFY 2016-17 and SFY 2017-18.
DHCS recently released additional program documents on their website, including:
· MCIP Agreement FY 2016-17
- MCIP Agreement FY 2017-18
- Addendum A: MCIP Administrative Costs FY 2016-17 and FY 2017-18
- Addendum A: MCIP Administrative Costs FY 2018-19 and Forward
- Addendum B: HIPAA Business Associate Addendum
- Addendum D: MCIP FY 2016-17 Agreement County Certification Form
- Addendum D: MCIP FY 2017-18 Agreement County Certification Form
- MCIP County Participation Guidance (PPL 16-001)
- MCIP Nonfederal Share Guidance (PPL 16-002)
- MCIP FY 2016-17 and FY 2017-18 Participation Guidance (PPL 16-003)
- MCIP Participation Form FY 2016-17
- MCIP Participation Form FY 2017-18
- December 28, 2016: MCIP Provider Bulletin
- December 22, 2016: MCIP Effective Date Changed
- October 11, 2016: New MCIP Policy